Do I still have any readers left out there?? Where did time go? Eesh. Where do I even start...
After my last post, I ended up moving to Michigan in mid-August for work. I've had a lot of trouble adjusting to this new place, which at least somewhat accounts for my disappearance.
So yeah, overall moving here has been very difficult especially on my training/working out. The job is fine--good, even, and fairly satisfying. Living here is just the hard part. I'm still hoping it will get easier somehow, and I'm hoping that once the holidays are over I can make Chicago a regular part of my weekend life and plan trips for the summer.
Here are some very small running things I've achieved since moving:
- Ran 5 mile loops on some local roads fairly consistently for a few weeks straight in September
- Ran the Columbus half marathon in spite of a complete lack of training (worst finishing time ever, but finishing was satisfying in and of itself given how little I'd been running)
- Ran 13 miles in Chicago when I went there--meant to do more like 9, but got lost with my friend. I use the word "ran" loosely here, because it was more of a run/whimper/pathetic walk breaks/whine. But I made it.
- Monday I have to do a 5k sponsored by my school. I don't want to do it because I'm out of shape and feel gross, but apparently it's a thing that will be viewed negatively if I don't get my ass out there, especially since people know I run.
- Thursday I have to do another 5k because I met a girl who knows some girls who run in a town about 20 minutes away. This is the first promising lead I've had on any kind of runner social life so I'd be an idiot not to do this race. Again, though, I'm not the biggest fan of 5ks and that means I have to do two in one week when I'm out of shape--this is a problem mostly because I'm going to be super-sad when I see how pathetic my finishing time is :'(
This past week I've started doing p90x. My execution hasn't been 100% perfect, but it has to be better than doing nothing, and I've been very sore so I must be doing something right. My next post will be about my adventures in p90x :o)
I'm wondering if I can still call myself a runner. It makes me sad to think that I can't. I also have hopes of doing the Kalamazoo Marathon in May and I won a free entry into the North Country Trail Marathon in Manistee, MI in August, so I will have to get my shit together at some point within the next 8 months. I miss the energy I used to have for all things running. I'm not sure when running started making me sad. I'm not sure if going on runs here just makes me remember how much better running in Columbus on the trail was and how much I miss my running buddies, or if I am sad about how out of shape I am now, or what. Sigh.