Sunday, August 8, 2010

Saturday's 11 miles

I'm almost back on the normal training plan.  On the original plan I was supposed to do 14 miles for my long run yesterday, but given that my long run last week was 9, I just couldn't quite push myself to 14.  Well, I probably could have, but it wouldn't have been pretty. This is ok, though... I've looked at the plan and made a few changes and I think it's all going to be fine.  When I headed out the door the plan was to do 11 at minimum, 12 if I was feeling good, and then take it from there.  So I hit my goal.

Last night's 11 came after S. and I walked around this little artsy town called Yellow Springs all day (me wearing vibrams).  We also had a really really good dinner at this place called Sunrise Cafe--I had some kind of creole tofu and rice dish that was really killer, and he had a quinoa saute.  So we drove an hour and 20 minutes back to Columbus and I went out right away to start running because it was quickly getting dark.  I guess an hour and 20 minutes isn't quite enough time for me to digest, because I felt like I had a food-baby for the better part of the run (and I wasn't hungry after the run like I normally am).  But it was fine.

So I headed out for 5 miles and then met S. again and we did another 6 miles together.  I actually felt really good for about 9.5 miles--it wasn't a painful nightmare like last week's 9 kind of was, where I was taking walk breaks and things.  I was running a pretty good pace.  But that last 1.5 miles really killed me.  It was so, so tough.  I don't think I've had a mile feel that tough since the last half marathon I did in May.  My legs were hurting, my feet hurt really bad, everything hurt.   It's possible that it was dumb to do a long run after already having been on my feet and walking around all day, but I didn't think about it.

BUT I did it and I'm hoping that this means that next week the first 11 miles of the 13-14 I'll do will come easily.

Re: shoes.  I am getting concerned that maybe the sauconys I have are more used-up than I thought--my knees were kind of getting that "uhoh, your shoes need to be replaced" feeling.  Also interestingly enough this was the first time in my 2 years of running (including all the half marathons) where I've felt my feet swell a lot.  My feet were so swollen when I took off my shoes.  I have no idea why now of all times they're swelling that much when they never have done so noticeably, but hey... definitely making note of that for buying future shoes.  Sooo...thanks to Debbie for her comment on my last post, which turned out to be super-accurate the very week she said something about it!

I'm super-sore and stiff today but I made sure to eat a good breakfast and might go for a (leisurely) swim in a little bit.  Wow, though, it's been awhile since I've felt this sore the morning after a run.

Also, plain soy yogurt in steel-cut oats is amazing...especially with blueberries.


  1. Nice job on the long run! Sounds like you are doing just fine! Oh, here is a link to a great article on Running Shoes just in case.

    Keep it up! Greg

  2. Thanks for the link!

    It seriously sounds like you're in need of some new shoes. Call me anal, but I track my shoe mileage along with my running mileage, even now when I don't run very much. They say shoes are good for 300-500 miles, but I generally replace them when they're getting close to the low end of that number.

    Also, it's a good idea to have two pairs (they can be the same model) and alternate. Just like you, they recover better with an extra day of rest. Seriously, they have a chance to dry completely and they are supposed to last longer when you alternate.

    You didn't ask, but you might consider holding off on breaking in your Vibrams until after your marathon. Just a thought...:-)

  3. Yay for getting back to your training plan! You're doing so great with your marathon training. :-) And, I totally agree about soy yogurt, raw oats, and berries! It's one of my favorite breakfasts!