Now that that first marathon is over, though, I've been thinking more broadly about what I'd like my site to do. I want to make this blog into more of a resource for people who might stumble in here wondering about veganism or vegan sports nutrition or contemplating a first marathon, or any number of running-related interests. I really like the idea of having a site with some substance.
To those ends, there are new tabs along the top. They don't all have content yet, but they will.
- "My story" is a little narrative of how I became a runner and what's kept me invested. There's a version up now already but I will probably add more later.
- "What I Eat" is going to be a page that will include a) a little personal food philosophy statement, and b) a section on being a vegan endurance athlete--tips for what to eat, easy ways to keep track of your nutrition without going insane, what I've learned as a vegan athlete in marathon training, etc. I've been getting asked a lot about various nutrients and how I get them, what kind of protein I eat, whether I take supplements, etc, as well as how I make sure I'm eating a well-rounded diet in the first place, and I thought it would be nice to have a part of the site devoted to explaining some of that. I will also comment on gels/sports drink/etc and what my pre-run/during run/post-run eating habits are.
- "How I Train" will have some discussion of training plans I've followed and what I think works/doesn't work, at least for me. I will also talk about other cross-training-ish things I do besides running.
- "What I Wear" is a section devoted to commenting on gear I like. This is because I constantly look for reviews of products before buying online and it seems I can never find anyone who's bothered to write a review of a lot of the stuff I want to buy. So I'm going to start filling that void by putting in my own $.02 about assorted running gear.
- "For New Runners" will be my cheesy little section where I wax philosophical and give advice to newbies... not so very long ago I wasn't a runner at all, and there's a lot I've learned along the way. I want a little spot to share what I've learned. I'll probably also have a "what I learned from marathon training" list or something as well.
Other things I'm considering: more food posts; hooking my site back up to my dailymile.com account (I 'unhooked' it because I don't like that when I upload my garmin data to daily mile it also shows the entire universe where I do my runs on a google map... and I don't know how to make that stop..); maybe a little photo thingy that rotates various race photos. Maybe a tab for "running in Columbus, Ohio" where I talk about good parks/trails/routes around the city and good stores and running groups!
Today I did a very cold, kinda icy 8 miles. Decision to wear shorts in 32 degree weather = not a very good decision. I thought it was warmer than it ended up feeling by about the last 3 miles. But oh well. And, I pencilled in my very first number on my new Daniels training plan!
See that tiny tiny handwritten 8 in the Sunday column??? Yep, that's it! (sorry--terrible cell phone photo there...!)