Monday, July 5, 2010

My New Favorite Oatmeal..

I recently discovered Kath Eats Real Food.  See that link at the top of her page there--tribute to oatmeal?  This is pretty much the best oatmeal I've ever had.  The method of oatmeal preparation she demonstrates in the Instructional Video on that page is totally awesome.  The basic steps:

  • Combine oats, water, and soy/almond/whatever milk in a proportion like 1/2 c. oats, 1/2 c. water, 1/2 c. milk to start; add more water if you're using a tougher kind of oat.  I use steel-cut oats, so I usually start with those amounts and then add more water toward the end if the oats aren't done.  This amount makes one large serving, for if you're hungry like I always am.
  • Bring to a simmer; add a banana cut into chunks and raise heat a little.  Stir regularly.  The banana will melt and it will start to smell awesome.  Usually after about 7-10 minutes I have to add more water, since steel cut oats take like 15 mins to cook fully.  If you have instant or rolled oats I think the whole process would only take 5 minutes.
  • When it's done, add a splash of vanilla extract and any other good stuff you want to.  Protein powder, dried fruit, almonds, nut butter, cinnamon, etc.  It totally tastes like delicious banana bread and it's really nice in texture... not all grainy like oatmeal usually is, thanks to the banana.  
Thought I'd share since this is quickly becoming a favorite breakfast (and occasional dinner).  It could probably be a good post-run thing too since it has a banana for potassium and you could probably get a pretty good 4:1 carb/protein balance if you add nuts and things.  Tasty tasty stuff.

2 comments:

  1. oooh KERF oatmeal is the best!!!! I love that the banana is cooked in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me hungry for some oatmeal. I am going to have to try cooking it that way, sounds wonderful.

    I am having an APRON GIVEAWAY on my blog. It would be great if you could come over and enter.
    http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete