SO here's what I've been putting in my trail mix:
- raw cashews
- roasted salted peanuts (I just can't bear the raw ones.. and I like the saltiness)
- dried mixed berries (trader joe's has bags that have cherries, blueberries, and strawberries... yummy)
- dried cranberries
- dried banana chips (I thought I always hated these but actually I guess I don't. Hm.)
Now, the stuff that makes it even tastier:
- chocolate covered cranberries (vegan ones of course--trader joe's has them)
- sometimes a little caramel corn (trader joe's brand is vegan by accident! heck yeah!)
So I have this amazing huge tupperware full of salty and sweet deliciousness that has some carbs and some protein and I keep it by the couch (probably a mistake.. haha). I don't go too crazy with the special goodies, so it's mostly healthy. I realize noshing down on pretzels may not be the healthiest but as my training has increased I've been eating less raw than I was because I'm so freaking hungry all the time... and I guess as foods go pretzels aren't THAT bad.
I put my dried fruits and nuts separately in quart and pint sized canning jars to stay fresh so whenever I need more trail mix I just pour more of everything into the tupperware. It is awesome. And for the record Trader Joes is hands down the best place to pick up dried fruits and nuts... it's all a little expensive but it's better than most stores, and definitely a huge selection.