Wednesday, October 13, 2010

In which I discover that I am NOT bendy (Part 2)

I read that doing a yoga pose called the Pigeon Pose can help with IT band tightness, so I thought I'd try it (gently of course, since the race is in 4 days...)


Here's a little short video to show how to do it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVlX5HNKamw
..so you see how the woman has her front leg bent at like a 90 degree angle??    I can't do it at all.  I have to have my heel back UNDER me in order to keep my hips square to the front (which the woman in the video says is the most important part, even if that means moving where your heel is).  So apparently I have like...zero hip flexibility.  fml?  You should try this, I'm curious if it's nearly impossible for normal people or if I'm somehow broken and inflexible.

Too late to care now I guess... I'm going on a song and a prayer at this point...!

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I don't think you're broken. Even I can't quite hit the 90 degree angle, and my hips are *too* flexible! Though I think in my case it's tight hip flexors that are the problem.

    For your IT band a spinal twist is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you're broken either. I've been doing yoga for a while so I can usually get close to the 90 degree angle, but it takes a while to build up. I've been thinking of taking a yoga class at Whetstone Community Center over the winter, if you're also interested.

    ReplyDelete